Monday, June 05, 2006

The pop revolution

The Posies - Dream All Day / Flavor of the Month
Dada - Dizz Knee Land


I'd have to say my father's two favorite bands during my early adolecence were The Posies and Dada. Day in and day out, we were listening to one or the other, two of the greatest pop-rock bands of the mid-1990's. My father is an avid bike rider, both street and off-road, bicycle and dirt bike. Pretty much any afternoon in the summer, me and him would be in the garage, with the doors open, and one of the two bands would be playing on our little boombox (we had two of the same model in the house, and I never really could figure out why). Thinking about the two Posies songs I've singled out always brings back memories of building treehouses, playing with waterguns, and generally enjoying that child-like need of summer and sunlight. My dad had two albums by The Posies, but this was the only one we ever really listened to. I think we never really put on "Amazing Disgrace" because it had a lot more swear words in it than "Frosting on the Beater", and I was definitely young enough at the time that my dad wanted to keep me away from that as much as possible. I always remember listening to "Dizz Knee Land" driving somewhere in our pickup truck. Whenever the like "kicked my ass out of school" came up, one of us would instinctively say "ouch" as clearly, getting kicked in the ass hurt. I could probably give a tiny anecdote about two or three dozen Dada songs (and I probably will at some point), but this song, and the two Posies tracks will always be the one linked with spending time with my dad on sunny afternoons, when there wasn't a whole lot else we had to do.

Plug in, and turn it up...

No comments: