Monday, June 05, 2006

First track.

The Audiobiography: it's a project I've been mulling over for quite some time now. I've been making mix cds for nearly 10 years now, since I was in my early teens and writeable CDs were something new and exciting. Back in my first real relationship, I made a few mix cds of "our songs", and did my best to tell a story through the 70 or so minutes I could fit on one disc. Like any other angst-filled teenager, I picked all the classic "lonely" songs and the modern "love" songs that would tie it together with a flow that would make Rob Gordon proud (High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, you should read or watch it). Of course, that's what I thought at the time, anyway. While there was some good in there, they weren't the world's greatest mixes. But you can't stop a kid from trying, right?

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that I think about music more than the average person. Both my parents were (and are still) musically oriented, my mother a piano teacher since she was 18 and avid fan of "off the beaten path" artists such as The The or Tom Waits, and my father a bass and guitar player in bands since he was young, and a fan of modern 90's pop rock bands like The Posies, Material Issue, or Teenage Fanclub. So from the moment I started paying attention to what my ears were hearing, there was new, old, and exciting music all around me. Even these days, I find I turn on the radio or listen to some old vinyl at the radio station I DJ at, and floods of memories come in from songs that I don't even consciously know.

So this blog, then, was only a natural extension of twenty-plus years of musical input. It's not for music reviews, I'm not going to be trading gossip or the latest tour news. This blog will be a very personal and hopefully extensive record of the memories and feelings I've associated with songs, every song I can think of, every song that's ever meant something to me. I'll try to be as honest as I possibly can, but I can't promise that things I remember won't be colored by a decade of time or the latest mood swings. If you know me, then maybe this could serve as a way to know me better. And if you don't, maybe it'll serve to kill the time with some decent reading.

Plug in, and turn it up...

No comments: